Table of Contents
Trade Show News
Click here to see our complete list of sponsors!
JUNE/JULY 2 0 1 2
T R A D E S H O W N E W S
The Denver Merchandise Mart Gift, Home, Jewelry & Resort Show scheduled this August 23-28, 2012 will be held in conjunction with the Denver Apparel & Accessory Market. Temporary exhibitors for the show will be open August 25-27, 2012.
Exhibitors for this show, known for its friendliness and western hospitality, represent more than 4,500 manufacturers with a variety of gift, souvenir and resort products. This semi-annual show is a top destination for National Park and resort gift shops. The event offers a great variety in souvenir, rustic, lodge, western and Native American products. In addition, gourmet foods, home furnishings and decorative accessories, collectibles, fine and fashion jewelry, resort apparel, linens, seasonal and holiday items, plush, books, puzzles and toys are among the many categories represented at this market. This August’s combined market also provides women’s, children’s and men’s sportswear and dress apparel as well as accessory resources.
One-of-a-kind Native American and other unique handcrafted merchandise in all mediums will be shown at market and are available for immediate release. In addition, the show features a cash and carry section of exhibitors representing such categories as personal care, jewelry, apparel, furniture and decorative accessories.
Free educational seminars for buyers, complimentary evening entertainment and buffets, complimentary Buyer’s Lounge with refreshments, free coat check, high-speed wireless internet and free fax and copier service are all available at the show. In addition, more than 3,000 free parking spaces are available with parking lot shuttles. Discounted hotel rates are available from area properties along with free shuttles to and from the show plus the convenience of a four-building market complex all located under one roof.
The Denver Merchandise Mart is located at 451 West 58th Ave. in Denver.
The International Gift
Exposition in the Smokies®/Souvenir Super Show®
The International Gift Exposition in the Smokies®/Souvenir Super Show® Announces…
New Merchandise, Giveaways, Celebrations & Networking Opportunities are just the beginning of what you will find this November 6-10th at America’s Souvenir Show®!
• “Welcome Buyers Happy Hour” returns to the International Gift Exposition in the Smokies® on opening day, November 6th, from 5-6 p.m. This event is FREE for all buyers. Attend and enjoy live music, appetizers, beer, wine and stimulating conversation with fellow industry leaders! A hearty Thank You to sponsors: A.T. Storrs, Aurora World, Cool Jewels, Squire Boone Village and Stephen Joseph Companies for making this event possible!
• IGES Welcomes ZAA, the Zoological Association of America, as ZAA buyers attend the Smokies for the first time this year! Bill Lucey, with Rainforest Adventure in Sevierville, will be hosting ZAA’s annual meeting. IGES has invited all ZAA members including owners, directors and buyers to a luncheon, Wednesday, November 7 at 11 a.m. with a short orientation to the IGES/SSS show.
• Gift Bag Giveaway!! The IGES/SSS exhibitors are offering some amazing samples for the goodie bags this year. Be one of the first 200 people through the door on opening day, to receive a ticket to exchange for one of these totes filled to the brim!
• Ty, Inc. in booths 2500+ is offering a Cupcake Reception for buyers on Thursday, November 8, to introduce their new plush line, Ty Wildz®! Stop in and enjoy a cupcake while you browse this new line, which is being offered exclusively to the attractions industry!
• IGES/SSS will sponsor a free seminar and complimentary buyers’ light breakfast, Thursday, Nov. 8, 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. in the Sevierville Events Center. Seminar: “More Than 10 Ways to Build Your Business with Social Media," presented by Kim Warren.
• ALL NEW. “IGES has an APP for THAT!” IGES/SSS will provide buyers and exhibitors using smart phones and tablets a convenient way to find booths, research exhibitors, view the show schedule of events, and MORE, before, during AND after the show! The app will be available early this summer. Visit www.iges.us for more information!
• The second annual Museum Store Buyers’ and roundtable discussion will be held this year on Wed., Nov. 7 at the Tennessee Museum of Aviation! Nancy Hagerman, President of the Museum Store Association’s South Atlantic Chapter, will be presiding over the casual roundtable discussion following cocktails and a delicious dinner. Sign up early as seats are limited!
• Happy 40th Anniversary LCI! Visit booths #2924+ throughout the show and help them celebrate 40 wonderful years with 40 percent off show specials, a canvas shopping bag giveaway and preview of their new 2013 line! Stop back on Wednesday at 3 p.m. for a celebratory wine tasting!
The excitement doesn’t end there! Please watch for more exciting events in the next issue! The IGES/SSS Management team is committed to making the 2012 IGES/SSS as profitable and successful as possible for both buyers and exhibitors! See You In Sevierville!
Re-engineered by leading trade show management company, Urban Expositions, the Smoky Mountain Gift Show returns November 7-10, 2012 to the Gatlinburg Convention Center with an even bigger product selection featuring top name lines from leading manufacturers, enhanced buyer services and a spirit of fun and hospitality that defined the show at its prime.
“Since acquiring the show in 2011, we’ve focused our efforts on rebuilding and enhancing the Smoky Mountain Gift Show. The feedback from both buyers and exhibitors has been overwhelmingly positive,” said Doug Miller, president, Urban Expositions. “We’ve already received many commitments from a number of leading manufacturers and rep groups as well as heard interest and excitement from buyers in the Eastern Region and throughout the nation. We are well on our way to once again establishing the Smoky Mountain Gift Show as the destination show in the Smokies.”
Show Highlights include:
New Date Pattern: To effectively meet the needs of both buyers and exhibitors, Urban Expositions has shifted the Smoky Mountain Gift Show’s date pattern for the 2012 edition to a Wednesday - Saturday format.
One Badge, Two Shows: For your buying convenience, Smoky Mountain Gift Show, IGES and SSS badges will be honored at all show locations. In addition, complimentary shuttle service will be available between the Smoky Mountain Gift Show and IGES/SSS events running Wednesday - Saturday.
Deeply Discounted Hotel Rates for Buyers Starting as Low as $49: Urban Expositions will be buying down the rates on the show’s already discounted hotels to be able to offer buyers rates starting as low as $49 at hotels conveniently located near the Gatlinburg Convention Center. Rooms at these rates are limited and buyers are encouraged to book early. For details, visit www.smokymtngiftshow.com or call the SMGS travel agency, Connections, at 1.800.262.9947 or visit www.giftshowhotels.com.
Top Name Manufacturers Return to the Original Gatlinburg Gift Show: With a home as great as Gatlinburg, the November show is quickly approaching a “Sold Out” status with some of the top names in the industry signing on for the November edition. Among the newly returning companies for the 2012 edition: Fiesta, SanSegal Sportswear, DeBry Company, Gib Carson & Co., Eagle Crest, Inc., Sea Creations, Inc., RDC Sales, Joe Blow T’s, Inc., Harbor Designs, Liberty Wear, Lin Mfg. & Design, Avalon Apparel, Buck Wear, David Carey, Inc., Herzfelds, Inc., Madison Bay Company, POOF-Slinky, Inc., Resort Stop and more.
Onsite Buyer Services
The Smoky Mountain Gift Show offers a full roster of buyer services and amenities including:
Free Parking for Pre-Registered Buyers: As a pre-registered buyer, you can show your Smoky Mountain Gift Show, IGES/SSS 2012 Buyer Badge and park for free at the Bearskin parking garage. This is the only free lot available and there is limited space. Parking will be first-come, first-served.
Enjoy our Southern Hospitality: During the show, be sure to enjoy southern hospitality at its finest with the show’s free buyers services and amenities. Start your day by enjoying complimentary coffee and pastries each morning from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. in multiple locations. Then relax, unwind and “sit for a spell” while also enjoying complimentary beer, wine and cheese, available in two locations this year, each afternoon from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Goody Bag Giveaways: The first 100 retail stores to arrive at the show on Wednesday, November 7 and Thursday, November 8 will receive a special tote bag filled with free gifts from many of the show’s exhibitors.
Zoo & Aquarium Buyers Group (ZAG) Networking Events: ZAG will host a variety of networking events for its members, including a special ZAG Bingo game, a networking mixer, and a special reception. Look for more details coming soon.
Smoky Mountain Gift Show Fast Facts
When: Wednesday, November 7 - Saturday, November 10, 2012
Where: Gatlinburg Convention Center (including the W.L. Mills Conference Center)
234 Historic Nature Trail/Airport Road,
Gatlinburg, TN 37738
Hours: 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.,
Wednesday - Friday;
9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Saturday
For more information on exhibiting, contact Show Director Christina Bell at 678.370.0335 or email@example.com. For attendee information or to pre-register, attendees can visit www.smokymtngiftshow.com or contact Buyer Relations Representative Whitney Van Atta by calling 678.370.0342 or 1.800.318.2238 ext. 0342 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
George Little Management LLC
Emerging craft designers and up-and-coming artisan makers will be showcased at the new “Emerging Designer Maker Platform” produced in connection with the Handmade® Designer Maker division at the New York International Gift Fair® (NYIGF®). This new initiative will feature talented designers – in particular design students and recent graduates in business for one year or less – and handmade products across the gift home and lifestyle spectrum and created in all media. The summer 2012 edition of Handmade runs Saturday, August 18, through Tuesday, August 21, at New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center.
Seven National Stationery Show® (NSS) exhibitors were honored with Best New Product Awards last May at New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. The coveted awards are presented in eight categories and are considered a distinguished honor within the social stationery industry.
Winners of the 16th annual Best New Product Awards are: All Things Wedding, Someday Designs, LLC, Syosset, N.Y.; Celebrations, Branch + Cotton, Corona del Mar, Calif.; Eco-Chic, The White Cabinet, Greenport, N.Y.; Lifestyle, SayItWithBookCovers™, St. Louis, Mo.; Luxury, Up With Paper, Mason, Ohio; Paper Style, Wild Ink Press, Chico, Calif. and The Desktop, from you to me limited, Bath, UK.
Up With Paper of Mason, Ohio, was awarded Best of Show.
Urban Expositions Launches Facebook Contest for Las Vegas Souvenir & Resort Gift Show
Winner Will Receive A Two-Night Hotel Stay
During The September 11-14, 2012 Show
part of an expanded buyer relations campaign for its 2012 Las Vegas Souvenir& Resort Gift Show, Urban Expositions is launching a Facebook social media contest. Running in tandem with Buyer Relations Director Briana Mackey's visits to retail stores in the months leading up to the show, the contest invites buyers to “like” the show's Facebook page for a chance to win a two-night hotel stay during the 2012 edition.
To enter, buyers can simply “like” the Las Vegas Souvenir & Resort Gift Show Facebook page and write a brief post about why Mackey should visit their store during her travel schedule from June 1 - August 31, 2012. If their store is selected, they will receive a special visit and prize package, including a free, two-night hotel stay in Las Vegas during the show.
“We find that the visits our buyer relations team makes to retail stores are among the best building tools we have for a show. In addition to bringing show information and news directly to our customers, when Briana calls on stores she’s able to gather wonderful information and feedback that helps us continue to fine-tune and strengthen our show to meet retail needs,” said Doug Miller, president, Urban Expositions. “Since Facebook is all about conversation, we thought this contest could be a fun way to continue gathering feedback while building our online community too.”
The 2012 edition will provide retailers with thousands of lines of souvenir and resort product in a wide range of categories, including destination, resort and tourist merchandise, souvenirs, green products, T-shirts, beach items, made in America, coastal and nautical, lake, mountain and lodge, ski-themed products, destination, logo products, shell items, giftware, jewelry/fashion accessories, toys/games and more.
In addition to the tremendous selection, the highlights for the 2012 Las Vegas Souvenir & Resort Gift Show include:
• $9.99 Hotel Rates for Retail Buyers: To help retailers keep those travel costs down, Urban Expositions has bought down already discounted rates to offer hotel rooms for retail buyers starting as low as $9.99 at the Stratosphere Casino, Hotel and Tower. These rates are available only to retail buyers who pre-register and attend the show. Show management has also negotiated low rates at other Las Vegas properties as well for buyers and exhibitors.
• Goody Bag Giveaways: The first 100 buyers to arrive at the show on Wednesday, September 12 and Thursday, September 13 will receive a special shopping bag filled with free gifts from many of the show's exhibitors.
• National Association of Retail Buyers (NARB) To Host Free Seminars: NARB will once again host educational programs during the show. Look for more information coming soon.
• Living Legends Social: Join us after the show closes on Tuesday evening, September 11, as the Living Legends Association honors one of its own. The Living Legends Association seeks to honor those whose contributions have helped the souvenir industry take shape. Its membership is comprised of souvenir reps, wholesalers, manufacturers and designers. Working together, members strive to improve and better the industry while keeping it vital and having fun along the way. Look for more information coming soon.
• Zoo & Aquarium Buyers Group (ZAG) Networking Events: ZAG will host a variety of networking events for its members, including hosting a hospitality suite, breakfast networking sessions and a special reception on Wednesday evening, September 12, 2012. Look for more details coming soon.
• Show Hours are: Tuesday, September 11, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Wednesday, September 12, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Thursday, September 13, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; and Friday, September 14, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The location is the Las Vegas Convention Center, Hall C3 and C4, 3150 Paradise Road, Las Vegas, NV 89109